Thursday, December 2, 2010

Week 3 Poem 2: I Am Much Too Alone in This World, Yet Not Alone by Rainer Maria Rilke

I am much too alone in this world, yet not alone enough

to truly consecrate the hour.
I am much too small in this world, yet not small
enough
to be to you just object and thing,
dark and smart.
I want my free will and want it accompanying
the path which leads to action;
and want during times that beg questions,
where something is up,
to be among those in the know,
or else be alone.

I want to mirror your image to its fullest perfection,
never be blind or too old
to uphold your weighty wavering reflection.
I want to unfold.
Nowhere I wish to stay crooked, bent;
for there I would be dishonest, untrue.
I want my conscience to be
true before you;
want to describe myself like a picture I observed
for a long time, o­ne close up,
like a new word I learned and embraced,
like the everday jug,
like my mother's face,
like a ship that carried me along
through the deadliest storm.

2 comments:

  1. In this poem the author is trying to explain how she/he might be just something like an object or a thing to the world. But she/he wants to be something important to that someone. This person wants to be notice among those that know everything, but if they don’t notice she/he rather be unknown an be alone. The person speaking wants to be able to speak of itself to someone and be able to explain itself in a very elaborated way, with many details. The person wants to be able to explain itself and wants that special someone to know who itself really is and what it wants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think in this poem the author wants to separate himself from the world as much as possible in order to really analyze it. But he can't reach that point where he is truly alone and uninterrupted. He also wants to perfect himself. I imagine him standing in front on a mirror making sure he analyzes what he does, so that se can realize every detail about himself. His goal is to find the way to live his life. At the end he talks about his mother, she is mentioned I think because she previously provided him with the guidance that he is now seeking.

    ReplyDelete